Re: New Oracle New Solaris v's Old Oracle Old Windows

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:23:51 -0500

Reply embedded . . .

On 13 Apr 2004 19:38:20 -0700, timasmith_at_hotmail.com (Tim Smith) wrote:

>I am receiving new Sun Fire 440 with 2 processors and I believe 10-12
>disks (waiting for info on disks). I could ask for Solaris 8 or 9. I
>could install Oracle 8,9 or 10 (I suppose).
>
>Our production software runs on a Windows 2000 Server cluster with
>Oracle 8.0.5. A mix of Powerbuilder clients (10-15 users) and ASP.NET
>clients (20-80 users). The dual nodes are both Pentium IV processors
>with 2GB RAM each.
>
>Most of the performance issues of our application is from inefficient
>SQLs with large numbers of logical reads. Disk I/O is rarely an issue
>though perhaps there will eventually be some redo log contention.

If this is true, there is little to nothing you can do from a hardware standpoint.

I'd be curious to know how the bottleneck was determined. Has anyone done a statspack report? What were the top wait events? My guess is there is more going on than excessive logical reads. But in the end, there is little to nothing you can do with hardware to solve the problems of a poorly designed and written app.

>So we developed a multithreaded application which emulates browsers
>and users and can execute the workflow processes to put the system
>under serious strain. With 40-60 users performance becomes
>unacceptable.

Perhaps it's because I've been doing a lot of study to prepare a presentation on the costs of not using bind variables, but (without knowing more detail) this sounds like a classic example of the scalability problems created by that issue.

I'd strongly urge you to locate a copy of Tom Kyte's "Exepert one-on-one Oracle" The first three chapters should required reading for anyone who deals with Oracle RDMBS in any capacity, be he DBA, developer, system architect . . . The rest should be required reading for DBA and developer.