Re: Creating datafiles for 500GB database

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:38:43 +1000

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 02:23:40 GMT, Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
>> On 11 Apr 2004 18:45:34 -0700, Sandy N <urockblue96_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been entrusted the responsibility of creating physical
>>> structure of a datamart. Approximate size of the database would be
>>> 500GB. It will work on windows server. Till now I have been working
>>> mostly working with around 10 - 20 GB databases.
>>>
>>> Any indicators as to how much size I should go with the database files
>>> ? I was thinking of creating 50 10GB files. Does it sound feasible ?
>>> Any thoughts would be helpful.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Sandy
>>

>> Generally, the unit of backup and recovery is the data file, so to my
>> way of thinking 10GB is too big. I prefer no bigger than 2GB. And 250
>> data files would not be outrageous for a database (though you'd want to
>> make sure you didn't let the default MAXDATAFILES control file sizing
>> parameter kick in: it's 30!
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>
> I think of the unit of (physical) backup and recovery as the tablespace.

Well, you're welcome to think anything you want of course. But the fact remains that the minimum unit of backup is the data file. Particularly since a tablespace is a component of Oracle's *logical* storage model, not its physical.

The minimum unit of recovery in 9i, of course, and using RMAN is the data block, but otherwise, it's the data file too.

Those are just facts, I'm afraid.

And it's why I wouldn't be too happy to have to restore a >5GB data file to perform the smallest possible recovery using O/S techniques.

But YMMV, so that's fine.

Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com