Re: Creating datafiles for 500GB database

From: Sandy N <urockblue96_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2004 16:34:06 -0700

Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<MaIec.36249$KL7.24480_at_newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
> > On 11 Apr 2004 18:45:34 -0700, Sandy N <urockblue96_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have been entrusted the responsibility of creating physical
> >> structure of a datamart. Approximate size of the database would be
> >> 500GB. It will work on windows server. Till now I have been working
> >> mostly working with around 10 - 20 GB databases.
> >>
> >> Any indicators as to how much size I should go with the database files
> >> ? I was thinking of creating 50 10GB files. Does it sound feasible ?
> >> Any thoughts would be helpful.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Sandy
> >

> > Generally, the unit of backup and recovery is the data file, so to my
> > way of thinking 10GB is too big. I prefer no bigger than 2GB. And 250
> > data files would not be outrageous for a database (though you'd want to
> > make sure you didn't let the default MAXDATAFILES control file sizing
> > parameter kick in: it's 30!
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> I think of the unit of (physical) backup and recovery as the tablespace.
>
> Having favored the "max 2GB" datafile limit (like Howard) in the past, I
> have found that in the last few years almost every OS utility
> (compression, network copy, local copy, archive, encryption) now
> supports "largefile" functionality, so my arguments for "max 2GB" have
> fallen away... I happily embrace >5GB datafiles now!
>
> To me, 50 10GB datafiles sounds very reasonable. Just make sure you
> test your backup strategy! (and assuming that with some kind of disk
> volume management, the physical datafile layout is not too important for
> performance).
>
> --Mark Bole

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas (especially Dan, Howard, Mark). They are very relevant to my pursuit :-). As far as my backup startegy, I suggested using NOARCHIVELOG mode for the datamart. The reason being, in case of any disaster, ALL the data can be recreated from the mainframe. In any case we will take cold backup on every Sunday night.

Regards
SN Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 18:34:06 CDT