Re: Oracle AS installation question

From: Robert A.M. van Lopik <lopik_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:28:42 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> wrote in message news:dq9o70hgg52n61hvusi7va9snopdhts5an_at_4ax.com...
> On 13 Apr 2004 10:16:41 -0700, mikeeria_at_interia.pl (Michael) wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> > When installing Oracle9iAS on Win2k I had the error that a fully
> >qualified host is needed and from what I read on the net
> >(http://dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/2004_3_30_rittman.htm)
>
>(http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Oracle9iAS/ORACLE9IAS_1.
shtml)
> >is that a static IP is mandatory.
> >
> >Is this restriction still valid for Oracle Application Server 10g?
> >OR Is there a work around?
> >
> >In other words :
> >Is it possible to install Oracle Application Server 10g (9.0.4) having
> >a dynamic IP ?
> >
> >TIA
> >
> >Michael
>
> I would hardly call this a restriction.
> How are your clients going to deal with a dynamically changing IP
> address? Ever thought of that?

What is wrong with DNS? Oracle _did_ think of that and in 10g dynamic IP (DHCP)
is supported.

As far as the "fully qualified host" in 9i: is concerned : this means that you have to make up a host name like "host.xx" with at least one dot in it . Anything goes. Completely useless when you don't connect to the internet and have only local addresses.

> In the recent past it was also impossible to *change* the IP-address,
> apart by means of re-installing the whole product.
> Also, question like this one are best being answered by reading the
> installation documentation, rather than by hitting buttons and running
> into avoidable problems.

Stupid restrictions are always questionable.

rob van lopik Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 15:28:42 CDT