outer join type syntax

From: Jean Legare <jglegare_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2004 11:20:27 -0700

Have come across some Oracle syntax that I have not seen used before. I have to translate the SQL so that It will work on Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise.

The Oracle syntax is table. field_name (+) = 'X'

To me this looks like an outer join.

Is this what it is? What does it do, bring back NULLS for those records where the field is not 'X'?

I tried creating something similar in Sybase and it complained that an outer join requires a table name on both side of the operator. If you happen to know what the equivalent is in Sybase that would be nice.

Thanks

J Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 13:20:27 CDT