Re: Open_Cursors

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:21:13 GMT

Hello Ron,

> Actually, this is CFMX which is a full J2EE Application. They way it
> works is you write some SQL statements in a tag, the application then
> executes the statement and returns a recordset.
>
> We have no access to the database connection pool so there is no way
> for us to leave connections open. That is all handeled by the CFMX
> Application.
>
> That was my question. We have not seen this issue on CF5 (a non-Java
> implementation) and we have seen tons of bugs in the MX product as it
> relates to the database drivers so I was just assuming that this was
> potentially another bug.

It may be a valid assumption. Some part of the application just does not execute resultset.close()/statement.close() (in java) after getting all the rows.

> A few of our customers that have the problem have the cursors set to
> 300. I did not want to go back to them and tell them to bump that up
> to say 1000 or 1500 if
>
> A) That would chew up a ton of memory and potentially cause the server
> to be unstable

  1. is unlikely, 1000 cursors is not alot. However, one has to understand why one needs so many cursors opened simultaneously before increasing their number.

> B) Not fix the problem, if this was just some sort of race game and by
> bumping it up to 1000 it would just extend the time between the error
> messages.

I am afraid B) is what's most likely to happen.

You need to get in touch with the CF vendor and try to figure out what's happenning -- one java select statement usually maps to one open cursor and apparently you are not trying to execute more than 300 queries at the same time.

VC Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 11:21:13 CDT