Replication of Oracle9i spatial tables as materialized views

From: Thomas Gaines <thomas.gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: 13 Apr 2004 08:35:51 -0700

All -

Is it even possible to replicate tables that contains one or more columns of type mdsys.sdo_geometry? I read in chapter 6 of the Oracle9i Advanced Replication guide under "Datatype Considerations" that Oracle supports the replication of a "user-defined datatype", and I assume that that category includes the type mdsys.sdo_geometry. I'll be attempting this very soon, but as I think ahead, a few issues come up:

  1. Is it recommended to replicate the information in the Oracle spatial metadata tables? The spatial metadata views user/all/dba_sdo_geom_metadata (and many others) are based upon permanent tables in the mdsys schema, and I generally consider these "system"-type schemas to be off-limits as far as replication is concerned. Perhaps I need to change my thinking in this area.
  2. I know that I'll have to replicate the spatial indexes as well as the accompanying spatial index tables. Is there anything here that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for your time. Do you have any other recommendations as I attempt this replication of my Oracle spatial tables?

Thanks,
Tom Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 10:35:51 CDT