Re: Creating datafiles for 500GB database

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:24:19 +1000

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:58:23 +1000, Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Are you sure this is all it does? I would think there is some impact
>> on kernel requirements, for unix systems, at least (maxfiles, ninode,
>> nfiles).
>

> Yes, but that impact is with the OS and nothing to
> do with the control file iself.
>

>> Don't know much about windows, but there must be some impact
>> on the OS of opening all those files at the same time (
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163202 maybe
>> proves it irrelevant?).
>
> Cripes! That could be a problem. 2Mb per root file? Thank God
> for very large file handling then...

Yeah, but that was a problem for NT4... and fixed (according to the article) with a service pack even then.

I rather liked the fact that Windows 95 was immune. Next Terrabyte-sized server I install, I shall have to persuade management to upgrade to Win95.

;-)
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-