Re: Creating datafiles for 500GB database

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:59:26 +0100

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:407aa8ca$0$25655$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> It "reserves" space on the control file for
> datafiles up to its limit. It can therefore have
> a great impact on the total size of the control file.
> Which may or may not have an impact on other stuff you
> can do and ultimately how fast the control file can be
> written/save/restored.
>
> And why on Earth hasn't it been automated yet beats
> the heck out of me! It's not like it's rocket science
> to do it...

What we could have is a separate control file instance (Automated Control File Management or ACFM) which has to be started before the database - but optionally after the ASM instance in order for the database to function at all. This could store control file information on the Cluster File System as well. Then we'd have

OCFS
ASM
ACFM
OEM
RAC It'd be an improvement in reliability and ease of use I tell you.

cheers

Niall

--
Niall Litchfield