Re: Open_Cursors

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 01:35:24 GMT

Anurag Varma wrote:

> "Ron West" <rwest_at_paperthin.com> wrote in message news:641efd59.0404121204.15745263_at_posting.google.com...
>

>>We are working with an application built in CFMX (ColdFusion MX) and
>>are seeing some oddities with "maximum open cursors exceeded".  I have
>>read a bit on this and seen settings as high as 2000.
>>
>>Can anyone explain to me the direct relationship between the
>>Open_Cursors setting and memory.  I.e. if you have 2000 Open_Cursors
>>at any given time it will take up xx amount of memory.
>>
>>Unfortunatlely with ColdFusion we have no control over the releasing
>>of Open_Cursors so I want to set this to a higher value.

> I would second Sybrand's comment ..
> I have worked with cold Fusion in the past and never ever came across any open_cursors
> oddity that you state.
> You might want to clarify that comment and/or recheck the cause of the error.
>
> Anurag

Another agreement, from another perspective: with numerous "open cursor" error situations from a Java front-end, every time it has turned out to be application code that opens a cursor but doesn't close it, typically an in-house library routine for DB access. Ask your developers to list all the ways that the application can open a cursor... you may be surprised.

Funny developer statement: "Gee, can't Oracle just know to close the cursor when I'm done with it?".

If you have a connection pool of some sort, just close and re-open it every so often, that is one pragmatic way to solve the problem. ;-)

--Mark Bole Received on Mon Apr 12 2004 - 20:35:24 CDT