Re: can wild cards be used in BETWEEN clause

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:18:13 +1000

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:43:42 GMT, VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Roger,

I appear to get this all the time. The name is HOWARD, not roger.

"Rogers", with an 's', is my surname.

> You are quite right about BETWEEN accepting 'wildcards'. However, the
> following statement is incorrect:
>
> <quote>
> It seems to me perfectly logical. Show me everything between A and B
> should not show me B itself, because I've asked for things *between* two
> points, but not the points themselves.
> </quote>

The dangers of trying to simplify a message.

The point I should have made is that if you ask for things between 'A' and 'B', you want things starting at A-nothing-nothing-nothing..., which stop at (and yes, include) B-nothing-nothing-nothing.... But 'BELGIUM' is greater than 'B' on its own, and therefore isn't between the two points. So it doesn't get included.

So yes, I agree with you. I phrased it very badly, and picked an extremely silly example to illustrate the point.

Now, could you (and everyone else who makes the same mistake) try and get my name right?

:-)
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-