Re: Creating datafiles for 500GB database

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:26:11 -0700

Sandy N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been entrusted the responsibility of creating physical
> structure of a datamart. Approximate size of the database would be
> 500GB. It will work on windows server. Till now I have been working
> mostly working with around 10 - 20 GB databases.
>
> Any indicators as to how much size I should go with the database files
> ? I was thinking of creating 50 10GB files. Does it sound feasible ?
> Any thoughts would be helpful.
>
> Regards
> Sandy

Sounds reasonably irrelevant to me without considering the file sizes allowed by the operating system and the mechanism an hardware available for backup and recovery.

Of more concern would be things like PCTFREE and PCTUSED for your tables and indexes. In other words ... how much of that 500GB are you using/wasting?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu