Re: Create RAC database manually on Linux

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:22:47 +1000

On 11 Apr 2004 09:56:04 -0700, chan01 <chandra_2000_us_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to know how can i create RAC db manually on Linux. When i
> am using dbca to create rac i am getting all kind of error like unable
> to write to controlfile etc.
> My Env: Linux AS2.1, Oracle v9.2.0.4 32-bit
>
> Thanks for your help.

Well, you could use dbca to create just the scripts that create a database, but not get it to actually create the database itself. Then you can read those scripts in vi, and see what it does. But it doesn't actually do very much more than create a perfectly normal database in a perfectly normal manner. It adds an extra set of redo logs, true. It adds an extra undo tablespace if you're using automatic undo, true. It has to set some instance-specific parameters, such as instance name and instance number, true. But it still looks remarkably like a single-instance create database statement.

If you're interested specifically in what's needed, the article on Windows laptop RAC (especially the last section) at www.dizwell.com goes through it step by step.

But let's be blunt here: if DBCA is having problems, you're going to have problems. You don't say much about your hardware setup -how many nodes, what sort of interconnect, what sort of shared disk environment you have. You don't report whether cluster tests work (can each node ping each other node; can a node write to the shared disk, and have its work read by all other nodes; and so on). You don't say how you have setup your shared disk to house the eventual database: raw partitions? Cluster File System? So because you don't say very much about all those rather important matters, it's very difficult to offer you very much by way of help or advice.

But I will say that you need to fix the underlying problems before going any further, because merely switching from dbca to manual database creation isn't going to help.

Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-