Re: 2 databases but 1 oracle home

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1REMOVETHIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:59:22 -0500

--

"bobray" <quasimodo_at_genghis.com> wrote in message

> Howard, explain yourself. When you have 250+ Oracle databases, 128
> terabytes of data in those databases...and several HP Superdomes....with
> ridiculous amounts of RAM and CPU....why would you think 65 dev and test
> databases on a Superdome is "criminal insanity" ? Frankly, it's not
remotely
> insane. As far as I'm concerned it's an easy job. I can understand how
the
> scale of the setup might scare ya'...but it's really no big deal.
> Production lives in it's own world completely separate from dev and
> test...and is locked down tighter than a drum.

And who said the old mainframe days were long gone :) Looks like a mainframe... acts like a mainframe... etc... Just 1 opinion here, but it seems there should be consolidation where it makes sense. And, at first glance (and not knowing your details), I would say your setup sounds like an extreme ... like one of them old(I dislike the word legacy) mainframes. If someone has given a lot of thought to this setup, just curious ... do any of these databases have multiple application owners/schemas ... you know a "shared Oracle database environment" (as opposed to a "shared server environment - one that happens to be just sharing the server with multiple Oracle instances/databases")?

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 05:05:20 GMT, bobray <quasimodo_at_genghis.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Yep...I've got 65 databases and (unfortunately) 5 database versions
and
> 2
> > > listeners on one server. Some are dev, some are test...some are in
> > > archivelog mode, some aren't ...some are backed up hot, some cold.
Each