Re: Oracle on Linux hints and tips

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:41:08 GMT

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Mark Bole wrote:
>

>>Officially, you're supposed to use the Net8 config assistant native to
>>your platform, which will avoid this problem.

> I've heard that as well. But I have not heard that it must be run on the
> target machine - just on the same platform.
>
> There is absolutely nothing wrong with copying a good tnsnames.ora file from
> one machine to another.
>
> /Hans

By "officially" I meant, the initial response you will get from Oracle support if you have a problem. If you use their tool exclusively, I think they will pretty much guarantee it to work first time, every time, as long as you input the correct data through the tool. In the case of the OP, this would avoid the problem described (extra ctrl-M chars at the end of the lines).

By "realistically", I meant what I (and I suspect most other DBA's) do.   I can't remember the last time I used the GUI tool to edit a TNSNAMES.ORA file, but then I also don't call Oracle support when I have a problem, such as the OEM standalone on Windows popping up an unhelpful Java error due to some stray white space or typos (e.g. un-matched parentheses) in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

--Mark Bole Received on Sat Apr 10 2004 - 14:41:08 CDT