Re: Licensing one single user?

From: Parthik Patel <priyesh_at_mercurie.co.uk>
Date: 10 Apr 2004 09:37:38 -0700

ramon_at_conexus.net (Ramon F Herrera) wrote in message news:<c9bc36ff.0403231432.21c909ac_at_posting.google.com>...
> One of my applications is a Java applet which sends and
> receives all of its functionality from the originating
> web server.
>
> The web server in turn uses OCI programs to communicate
> with our only Oracle server. Every time the Oracle server
> receives a query, it comes from the same, the one and only
> Oracle user, called 'database'.
>
> Is the above approach a valid use of my license?
> The way I see it is I have the minimum (5 named users)
> licenses and hence I have FOUR more than necessary.
>
> -Ramon F. Herrera

Oracle licensing including what is meant by named user is explained on the Oracle's website. When you buy a license from Oracle you agree to take responsibility for making sure you are properly licensed.

You have just let the whole world and his dog know that you are in breach of Oracle's licensing rules. Best way to resolve this is to buy processor licenses. If your server has max limit of 2 processors, you can get away with buying Standard Edition One which shouldn't work out too expensive.

Oracle Store has the prices.

Regards
Priyesh

www.mercurie.co.uk Received on Sat Apr 10 2004 - 11:37:38 CDT