Re: Rename Oracle Database in Oracle 9i ?, Has anyone tried to do that so far

From: AnaCDent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:00:40 -0700

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Ted McCabe wrote:
>

>> Sanjoy:
>>     See 'New features in 92' in the Utilities manual.
>> DBNEWID Utility
>> DBNEWID is a new database utility that can change the internal database
>> identifier
>> (DBID) and the database name (DBNAME) for an operational database. See
>> Chapter 14, "DBNEWID Utility" for more information.
>> HTH
>> tED

> I can't find this utility in any directory under either my 9i or 10g
> homes. Can you tell me/us where it is or how to find it?
>
> Thanks.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96652/ch14.htm#SUTIL014

Ensure that you have a recoverable whole database backup. Ensure that the target database is mounted but not open, and that it was shut down consistently prior to mounting. For example: SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
STARTUP MOUNT Invoke the DBNEWID utility on the command line, specifying a valid user with the SYSDBA privilege. For example:
% nid TARGET=SYS/oracle_at_test_db

To change the database name in addition to the DBID, specify the DBNAME parameter. This example changes the name to test_db2:

% nid TARGET=SYS/oracle_at_test DBNAME=test_db2 Received on Sat Apr 10 2004 - 10:00:40 CDT