Re: Oracle on Linux hints and tips

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:25:59 -0400

"DJ" <nospamplease_at_goaway.com> wrote in message news:WxQdc.42$1B4.27_at_newsfe3-win.server.ntli.net...

| "Mark Bole" <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message
| > Adam Monsen wrote:
| >
| > > 1. /etc/tnsnames.ora MUST have UNIX line endings. If you see ^M
| > > characters at the end of every line when you do 'cat -v
| > > /etc/tnsnames.ora', execute the command 'dos2unix /etc/tnsnames.ora'
| > > (I've seen sqlplus fail because of this but not issue a warning)
| > >
| > [...]
| > >
| > > Anyone have any corrections/additions/comments/suggestions?
| >
| > If you want support from Oracle Corp. you won't edit the TNSNAMES.ORA
| > file by hand or copy if from one disparate platform to another. ;-)
| >
| > Officially, you're supposed to use the Net8 config assistant native to
| > your platform, which will avoid this problem.
| >

| why on earth not?

reminds me of an MS manual which first warned about never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever editing the registry -- then on the same page describes how you had to edit the registry in order to properly configure the system (wouldn't that be considered entrapment?)

i routinely cut and paste TNSNAMES.ORA entries between MSWindows and UNIX boxes (more specifically, my notebook has pieces of the TNSNAMES.ORA files from every customer that i am currently servicing). but editing the file in the OS where it resides doesn't have the same file format issues as copying entire files.

since Net8 config assistant is essentially just another editor (but one which requires field by field entry) the only advantage it would have over cut-n-paste would be to keep oracle support personnel from claiming you messed up the TNSNAMES.ORA file

maybe one day TNSNAMES.ORA will become TNSNAMES.XML so it can be easily verified

;-{ mcs Received on Sat Apr 10 2004 - 06:25:59 CDT