Re: can Oracle 9i be installed in a non-top level directory

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2004 15:04:20 -0700

thick_guy_9_at_yahoo.com (AMIT) wrote in message news:<7e127df6.0404091018.658cebc1_at_posting.google.com>...
> hi
> I am thinking of installing Oracle 9i on Red Hat Linux 8.0 on x86.
> Due to some constraints with my existing linux partition scheme (all 4
> primary partitions are used up), I will not be able to allicate a top
> level partition to Oracle - i.e I can't create /u01,/u02,/u03,/u04
> partitions.
>
> I do have space on /home. Can i create /home/u01,... and install? Or
> will creating a symbolic link from /u01 (under /) to /home/u01 be a
> better alternative?
>
> Thanks

That u0x stuff is merely a suggestion. It has advantages of administration in that people who are familiar with OFA will know where things are. It is not necessarily the default and not required.  You should be able to establish oracle environment variables that point whereever you wish.

Nothing wrong with links, although I've seen people mess up on restores and copies because they don't understand subtleties.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,50811,00.html?tw=wn_story_related