Re: ReDo's on Raw Files on AIX?? Yay or Nay??

From: Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:03:27 +0300

The only problem I once had, was because of my own error - I created redologs on raw devices in linux, but I used softlinks to point to redo devices. Unfortunately I forgot to make a change in a script and created all the softlinks (redo1..redo4) to point to one single raw device. Then when the first logswitch occurred, Oracle overwrote the header of the last (active) logfile and crashed. Normal recovery was impossible, because an active redolog was overwritten....

This was a test database though, but be extra careful when dealing with softlinks (symbolic links), since Oracle doesn't check whether the file names behing softlinks are unique...

Tanel.