Re: shutdown immediate not going , backup fail

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Apr 2004 15:27:36 -0700

yls177_at_hotmail.com (yls177) wrote in message news:<c06e4d68.0404072016.8089e60_at_posting.google.com>...
> Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<40742081.68DFA53_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> > SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE can take some time to complete. So many people code
> > their shutdowns as follows:
> >
> > SHUTDOWN ABORT
> > STARTUP RESTRICT
> > SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
> >
> > The SHUTDOWN ABORT kills all active sessions and transactions. But the
> > database needs some recovery, so the database is started and recovery is
> > performed. The RESTRICT option ensures that no other sessions are
> > started (provided you haven't granted RESTRICTED SESSION to non-DBA
> > accounts). Then SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE is performed to cleanly shutdown the
> > database in preparation for your cold backup.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Brian
> >

> > --
> >
> > Brian Peasland
> > dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com
> >
> > Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me.
> >

> > "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of
> > the three"
>

> hi, i am on sap. so i triggered offline backup from one of the
> transaction codes.lsnrctl dbsnmp_status what happens is that the system will issue shutdown
> immediate and its not possible for me to intervene manually..
>
> any help?
>
> thanks

lsnrctl dbsnmp_status

If you have the agent running, the agent will stall the shutdown.

Use your system process monitoring or OEM to find out what else may be attached before trying to shutdown. Then kill them, preferably using OS utilities if on unix.

Don't forget to post complete platform and version information on posts.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
94% of surveyed college professors say they do "above average" work.