Re: Oracle on Linux hints and tips

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:53:27 +1000

On 7 Apr 2004 16:28:57 -0700, Adam Monsen <adamm_at_wazamatta.com> wrote:

> 1. /etc/tnsnames.ora MUST have UNIX line endings. If you see ^M
> characters at the end of every line when you do 'cat -v
> /etc/tnsnames.ora', execute the command 'dos2unix /etc/tnsnames.ora'
> (I've seen sqlplus fail because of this but not issue a warning)
>
> 2. /etc/tnsnames.ora should have permissions set to rw-r--r-- (0755)
> and should be owned by root (I've seen sqlplus fail because of this
> but not issue a warning)
>
> 3. the ORACLE_HOME environment variable needs to be set to the root of
> your oracle installation

Tricky.

I would say that your choice of the words 'root of the oracle installation' would better be described as ORACLE_BASE.

ORACLE_HOME is the base of a *particular* Oracle installation you are performing or have performed.

ORACLE_BASE might be /oracle, for example. And within that, you might have /oracle/9i and /oracle/10g. Both of those would be different ORACLE_HOMEs, but both share a common ORACLE_BASE. So which one is more "root" than the other?

Semantics, I suppose.

Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com