Re: Seeking help with ORA-03113, ORA-01041, exp

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:52:39 +1000

On 7 Apr 2004 07:39:38 -0700, Allan Streib <streib_at_cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
>
>> Crikey! You mean you actually tried exporting with a shared server? Not
>> good idea... when you hijack a shared server for X minutes (or possibly
>> even hours) to perform an export, you might as well have just gone for a
>> dedicated process in the first place. Shared servers should not be used
>> for any job that takes more than a couple of seconds.
>
> Hmm, well nothing in the documentation I read about the export utility
> mentions this. In fact I just searched the utilities documentation
> pdf and the words "dedicated" and "mts" do not appear. But that's
> good to know.
>
> Allan

It's not an export thing. It's a feature of shared server configuration itself. There's not much point in having a pool of, say, 10 shared servers if the DBA is simply going to pinch one of them and not let go two minutes after startup!

It's also well documented that privileged actions (startup, shutdown, backup, recover and create database) *require* dedicated server processes. Now although export as such is not on that list, it's hopefully apparent that 'serious stuff' needs dedicated, and I would certainly think of export along the same lines. It might not be technically accurate to do so, but practically it makes sense.

But yes, it's probably not documented that well. Sometimes, you just have to 'know' these things!
Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-