Re: Using LVM to snapshot a backup

From: Johan Louwers <suntacNOSPAMPLEASE_at_dds.nl>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:21:43 +0200

It might not be supported by Oracle....Oracle encourage using LVM at linux looking at the OTN website.

I know a DBA that uses fssnap to snapshot his DB servers and so do a backup of the database buth fssnap is only supported on Solaris and not on linux.... the equivalent of fssnap is under linux LVM with also the possibilty of maing a UFS snapshot.

take a look at http://www.sistina.com/products_lvm.htm here is more information about LVM....

I was just wondering if someone ever used this option before. I am planning to set a test DB at work just to test LVM snapshotting.

Regards,
Johan Louwers.