Re: Oracle 9.2.0.4 uptime W2K 6 months

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:50:51 +1000

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:28:56 +0200, tojo <Tojo_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <XvNcc.44$qk3.14_at_read3.inet.fi>, none_at_noe.com says...
>> Hi!
>>

>> We have now six instances on Win 2000 ,
>> just added the sixth instance and notised that
>> uptime was 6 months since last reboot.
>> (Other pc has 12 months uptime.)
>>
>> Perhaps we should install patch 9.2.05 to get some excitation.
>>

> Pretty remarkable for Windows. One of our servers is going on 18 months
> with Oracle 8i.
>
> "Oracle makes Windows stable"
>
> -- Tom

Bloody impossible with Windows if you actually care about security. There have been at least two, possibly 3, extremely serious security wanrings  from Microsoft in the past six months, with associated patches for download. All of which (IIRC) require a reboot after applying them.

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, in particular, came out within the past six months, so the only way that box mentioned in the original post can still be running with a six month uptime is if the thing hasn't been looked after properly.

Sad but true.
Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com