Re: Paging space filling up AIX

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2004 23:10:17 -0700

"Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote in message news:<40732603$0$26450$626a14ce_at_news.free.fr>...
> "DBA" <marcelmix_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > I have 10 oracle instances runnig on IBM AIX 5.1 P6000 server that has
> > 8GB of RAM and 4GB of Swap. Last weekend the server became
> > inaccessible all the services were halted and we had to restart it.
> > We suspct that it was excesive paging that caused the problem.
> > How can we prevent it from happening again.
> >
> > Thank you
>
> Use one instance instead of 10.
>
> Regards
> Michel Cadot

dual Xeon 3.06 GHz 1 MB cache, 4 GB system memory.

so I was applying the 9.2.0.5 patchset to a RHEL 3.0 ES box today, to hopefully fix an error that has been creating lots of those fun to read 7445 .trc files.
(distributed trans over a db_link, found lots of similar issues in metalink forums, some of which _might_ be resolved in 9205).

OUI (the 10.1.0.2 version) was running on the server console in the server room, so I was running top over ssh from my desktop to see when things were requiring my attention.

coming from a win32 background for much of my oracle experience, I was surprised when I examined the amount of swap space used.

zero.
0 KB.

yeah, I hadn't turned of the filesystem buffering yet, so 3.2 GB of memory was in use. still, not a byte of swap allocated.

I was most impressed.

I guess that one does not have to leave 50% of physical memory free, just to appease the paging god on Linux.

One thing that I did not like in the 9205 OUI pre-install tasks was, requiring shmmax to be 2 GB. For my purposes, 1 GB is sufficient. At least it allowed me to check the box and proceed.

Pd Received on Wed Apr 07 2004 - 01:10:17 CDT