Re: Indexing Problem

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:06:52 GMT

Susanth Sivaram wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a table which has 9 indexes. With 9 indexes, inserting takes a
> lot of time. It takes around 57 minutes for inserting. For the same
> number of records with out indexes, it takes 44 seconds. This large
> time difference in inserting, reduces the performance of the system.
> Pls help in getting around with this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Susanth.

To state the obvious - get rid of (some) indexes.

One thing I firmly believe - every index needs to be re-evaluated every 6 months to verify that it is necessary. Only too often have I seen indexes created (eg. for reports) then left in place after the report is dropped.

Without any additional information, such as Oracle version, operating system, size of table, and even table structure, as well as information around the indexes, we will only be guessing.

Once we have that, we will likely need performance information such as that generated from StatsPack.

/Hans Received on Tue Apr 06 2004 - 12:06:52 CDT