How to audit LONG RAWs?

From: Karen Sundquist <karensundq_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2004 09:50:09 -0700

Hi there
I have an Oracle 8.0.5 db as backend to a number of applications. These apps stores ASCII plain text data in a LONG RAW field as follows:

CREATE TABLE Info (
InfoID INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
MyData LONG RAW NULL)

Another table stores the length of data in this field CREATE TABLE Length (
InfoID INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
MyLength INT NULL)

Now these apps are old and partially documented. Every now and then the contents of this field for any one record just disappear! This data is some of the most important in this application. The field is used to store a journal and is regulary updated. The client applications update the field by extracting the entire contents, appending the new info on the end and then loading the lot back into the field.

I would like to stop this data from diappearing, or at least be able to retrieve it easily when it does happen.

I thought at first I would put a trigger on the Info table and just check that when the field is UPDATEd that the new data is longer than the old data. However, manipulating LONG RAWs appears to be next to impossible in Oracle SQL and not allowed in triggers. (This field is often >32K)

Changing the data to a CLOB is not an option as it would require rewriting the applications.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Karen Received on Tue Apr 06 2004 - 11:50:09 CDT