Re: dbassist (8.1.7) vs. dbca (9.2)

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:04:19 GMT

> Question #1 -- did I overlook some functionality in dbassist?

No you didn't. The DBCA was much improved in 9i compared to 8i. You have many more options in 9i, and more control.

> Question #2 -- If anyone remembers back far enough (!) do you recall
> any 'gotchas' to the defaults genned by dbassist?

It depends on what your database will be used for. In some cases, the defaults are fine. In other cases, they are not. It really depends on your database usage. But don't worry. If you find down the road that the defaults were not to your liking, you can change them down the road. The only big exception is the DB_BLOCK_SIZE parameter. It is difficult to change once it is set. So make sure that is set right from the start. To change the block size, you have to rebuild your database.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com