Re: 9.2.0.5 is available for win32

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:03:28 +0100

> > There is as always an interesting list of bugs that are fixed. At least
some
> > of the following might be worth an upgrade alone
>
> You should be nominated for the MBU - Master of British Understatement :-)

:(

> > 1. Some types of redo corruption are not detected when they should be
>
> Translation: We think we're losing data after instance crashes.

I'd translate this as, we know that under some circumstances we can lose data after crashes when we shouldn't. I.E. There really is a problem but not a common one.

> > 2. SEQUENCES not properly maintained at Logical Standby
>
> Translation: We broke your application on the Standby.

if running it on a *logical* standby didn't break it in the first place :(

> > 3. Archivelog records in the CONTROLFILE may have wrong length data
>
> Translation: Let's muck around with data in the weak spot in the Oracle
armor.

> > 4. Higher CPU use if SQL_TRACE=TRUE -- the one I've been waiting for.
>
> Translation: Let's be inconsistent measuring things.

Disagree, if there is a performance problem, the best tool available to track it down is unreliable.

> > 5. Slow network may hang primary in DataGuard configuration (2 similar
ones
> > for this).
>
> Translation: We goofed architecting the most obvious needs in this
product in O8.

:(

> > 6. An auto extensible undo tablespace may grow before reusing expired
> > extents.
>
> Translation: We still haven't figured out rollback.

or We're trying to teach people not to use auto-extend but they persist in using it :(

> > There is a heap of RAC stuff as well :(
>
> Translation wetware core dumped. :-)

:)

> > Overall though, I do somewhat agree with your advice, we test patches in
 the
> > lab and monitor metalink for new and interesting problems (something
that
> > metalink search makes oh so annoying), but still aim to apply within a
> > reasonable timeframe of release.
>
> Most of these basic things should be picked up _before_ public release.

Some of them, a lot of them are somewhat obscure and or situation dependent, for example the logical standby introduced with 9i - I did a standby database presentation recently and asked how many of the 100 or so attendees were running logical standby, answer 1. I suspect this is fairly representative.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA