Re: is available for win32

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:03:28 +0100

"Joel Garry" <> wrote in message
> "Niall Litchfield" <> wrote in message
> > There is as always an interesting list of bugs that are fixed. At least
> > of the following might be worth an upgrade alone
> You should be nominated for the MBU - Master of British Understatement :-)

> > 1. Some types of redo corruption are not detected when they should be
> Translation: We think we're losing data after instance crashes.

I'd translate this as, we know that under some circumstances we can lose data after crashes when we shouldn't. I.E. There really is a problem but not a common one.
> > 2. SEQUENCES not properly maintained at Logical Standby
> Translation: We broke your application on the Standby.

if running it on a *logical* standby didn't break it in the first place :(

> > 3. Archivelog records in the CONTROLFILE may have wrong length data
> Translation: Let's muck around with data in the weak spot in the Oracle
> > 4. Higher CPU use if SQL_TRACE=TRUE -- the one I've been waiting for.
> Translation: Let's be inconsistent measuring things.

Disagree, if there is a performance problem, the best tool available to track it down is unreliable.

> > 5. Slow network may hang primary in DataGuard configuration (2 similar
> > for this).
> Translation: We goofed architecting the most obvious needs in this
product in O8.

> > 6. An auto extensible undo tablespace may grow before reusing expired
> > extents.
> Translation: We still haven't figured out rollback.

or We're trying to teach people not to use auto-extend but they persist in using it :(

> > There is a heap of RAC stuff as well :(
> Translation wetware core dumped. :-)

> > Overall though, I do somewhat agree with your advice, we test patches in
> > lab and monitor metalink for new and interesting problems (something
> > metalink search makes oh so annoying), but still aim to apply within a
> > reasonable timeframe of release.
> Most of these basic things should be picked up _before_ public release.

Some of them, a lot of them are somewhat obscure and or situation dependent, for example the logical standby introduced with 9i - I did a standby database presentation recently and asked how many of the 100 or so attendees were running logical standby, answer 1. I suspect this is fairly representative.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission UK