Re: Backup trends (2): HOT or COLD

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:10:35 +1000

"Paul Drake" <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1ac7c7b3.0404051750.270d43ac_at_posting.google.com...

> Howard,
>
> You've probably covered this elsewhere before, but I think that its
> worth restating ...
>
> If I could add one more selling point for RMAN, it would be block
> checking.
> With RMAN, you don't have to run dbv against the datafiles in the
> (physical) backup set, and you don't have to apply the archived redo
> logs against a standby database just to make sure that one of the logs
> is not corrupted.

Agreed absolutely. That's what I meant to imply by saying it did an 'intelligent read' and an 'intelligent write' (as opposed to merely doing a blind byte-for-byte copy as per an O/S backup).

Of course, it gets even better in 9i R2, where having detected a corrupt block during a backup, RMAN can use its own records (as stored in v$backup_corruption IIRC) to perform block media recovery to sort it all out.

Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-