Re: 9.2.0.5 is available for win32

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2004 13:46:22 -0700

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<407117ac$0$3304$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...

> There is as always an interesting list of bugs that are fixed. At least some
> of the following might be worth an upgrade alone

You should be nominated for the MBU - Master of British Understatement :-)

> 1. Some types of redo corruption are not detected when they should be

Translation: We think we're losing data after instance crashes.

> 2. SEQUENCES not properly maintained at Logical Standby

Translation: We broke your application on the Standby.

> 3. Archivelog records in the CONTROLFILE may have wrong length data

Translation: Let's muck around with data in the weak spot in the Oracle armor.

> 4. Higher CPU use if SQL_TRACE=TRUE -- the one I've been waiting for.

Translation: Let's be inconsistent measuring things.

> 5. Slow network may hang primary in DataGuard configuration (2 similar ones
> for this).

Translation: We goofed architecting the most obvious needs in this product in O8.

> 6. An auto extensible undo tablespace may grow before reusing expired
> extents.

Translation: We still haven't figured out rollback.

> There is a heap of RAC stuff as well :(

Translation wetware core dumped. :-)

> Overall though, I do somewhat agree with your advice, we test patches in the
> lab and monitor metalink for new and interesting problems (something that
> metalink search makes oh so annoying), but still aim to apply within a
> reasonable timeframe of release.

Most of these basic things should be picked up _before_ public release.

And that's not even dealing with the IASDB instance issues.

jg

--
@home.com
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040405/news_mz1b5glut.html