Re: Information on Reorganizing Large Tables on 8i and 9i

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:55:11 GMT

The only reason i would do a 'reorganize' is

1) i need to delete large chunks of it (go to partitions)
2) i need to backup/restore quicker (go to partitions)
3) i have a lot of chained rows in tables (exp/imp and set proper
pctfree/pctused afterwards)

Are you trying to improve performance of tables or performance of reorganizing (do you have maint windows available?)

On 5 Apr 2004 11:52:33 -0700, basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com (SAP BASIS Consultant) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Thanks to all those who took the time to answer my previous question
>regarding the rebuilding of online indexes.
>
>I have reorganized small and medium sized tables (Say, up to 500MS or
>so) in Oracle 7.x, 8.0.x, and 8.i.
>
>Now, it looks like I will be doing so with larger tables (Say, 1GB to
>10GB+) on AIX. The tables will likely be composed mainly (Or all) of
>VARCHAR fields; Few, if any, will have LOBs.
>
>(Yes, I understand that my artibrary concept of small, medium-sized,
> and large tables my be differ from other peoples'....)
>
>I tried to find some documentation, both online and in a bookstore,
>regarding issues associated with reorganizing large tables (How to
>improve performance, prevent potential problems, etc..), but I did
>not find much.
>
>Does anybody recommend any Website, article, or book dealing with
>these issues?
>

>Thanks,
>SAP BASIS Consultant

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Mon Apr 05 2004 - 15:55:11 CDT