Re: Enterprise Manager in 10g

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:58:26 +0100

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:tdecc.11208$J56.9789_at_edtnps89...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>
> > It would seem that Grid Control is available bundled with both SE and
EE,
> > which given the bundling of RAC with SE would seem logical.
> > http://tinyurl.com/33aan However the real gotcha is in the licensing of
> > things like V$ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY, event monitoring et al which are
> > part of the extra expense management packs for OEM. This may have always
> > been the case (i.e. that you had to pay more to monitor the alert log
for
> > example with OEM) but I don't recall it ever being stated so clearly.
You
> > also get the warning when you fire up OEM 10g.
>
> That seems to be the case. Oracle has always put the basic required
> controls into the baseline product and the really useful stuff into the
> extra-cost packs.

With 9i though (unless I have entirely misread it) the event system and alert system was available to users of the standard management pack, which came bundled with the database. The equivalent for this seems to have disappeared under 10g. I was also looking forward to ASH and am quite happy - this won't surprise you - to query data dictionary views myself, however it would appear that this would break the terms of the 10g license agreement.

coincidentally our Oracle sales rep is due to visit us shortly. I have some questions...

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA