Re: control files growing big

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 07:54:49 -0500

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:56:18 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>On 2 Apr 2004 12:51:56 -0800, hemasudhaind_at_hotmail.com (vikram) wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>
>>In the oracle server there is a system file "sys1per1.ora" this file
>>is growing to the size of 2GB. But the actually data contained there
>>is just 10mb. Can anybody advice why this is growing and what to do to
>>reduce the size of the file.
>>
>>thanks
>>vikram
>
>Likely this file is not the 'control file', but is the datafile for
>the SYSTEM tablespace. You can verify this by issuing
>select tablespace_name
>from dba_data_files
>where file_name = '<directory_name>\sys1per.ora'
>
>The SYSTEM tablespace is the location of the datadictionary. The
>datadictionary is maintained on the fly by Oracle. Consequently the
>only method to reorganize the SYSTEM tablespace is to take an export,
>create the database again, this time choosing a smaller datafile for
>the system tablespace, and import.
>While you mistake the SYSTEM tablespace for the controlfile, you might
>consider enlisting on-site the aide of someone more versed in Oracle.
>
>Regards

And if it is, indeed, the system TS, one would suspect that a lot of non-system stuff is in there for it to have grown that big. I'd bet a cookie that since whoever created the db named his system ts files this way (assuming that's what this file is) he also allowed user default TS's or temp TS's to go to SYSTEM. Received on Mon Apr 05 2004 - 07:54:49 CDT