Re: Backup trends (2): HOT or COLD

From: DD <denisdo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2004 05:20:33 -0700

Lucyna Witkowska <ypwitkow_at_nospamcyf-kr.edu.pl> wrote in message news:
> Is there any admin (8.1.7.2, 8.1.7.4) that rely only on RMAN warm backups?
Hi Lucyna!

All those previous post about RMAN being good and more robust tool are correct and I would like tell you the same. We have used only scripts old days (8.0), but when 9x came to play, I have switched our attention to RMAN. They (Oracle) did a great job to get it finally working (and very good) tool.
So - I would advice you to use it.
Only one thing - if your databases are not calculated in Tbs (in Gbs only) - do not use recovery catalog. Use controlfile as backup catalog. And of course do autobackup of controlfile and spfile each time.

If something went wrong - you always can "set DBID = xxxxxx" and recover your backup from recovered (in it's turn, before all others) backup copy of controlfile. And before each backup, do "report schema" - it will help you alot in future. And, if you are really desperate - there is a pl/sql procedures that can restore your original backup file from "backup handle" - so you will be able to apply it even without rman (not all the times - but still can do it). However, properly organized backup never let such pain to happen.

I believe, RMAN is REALLY good example, when "gui-like" tool is better than pure command line only.
(BUT it's not the case with development tools - sqlplus+vi still only winning combination!:-)

Good luck anyway,
All the best Received on Mon Apr 05 2004 - 07:20:33 CDT