Re: undo management vs. rollback segments in 9i

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:28:51 +0200

Rob wrote:
> Apparently 9i has a new parameter
> undo_management = AUTO or MANUAL
> for redo log files
>
> Does anyone have any experience using the new type of rollback segments
> and do they work well?
> Also if Oracle does the work does it put the RBS on SYSTEM tablespace
> and can it be moved to non system tablespaces after your DB is created.
>
> If not are all the old ways of doing things the same? ie
>
> Startup nomount with a parameter file with RB1 thru RBn commented out
>
> create instance and database
> create another system RBS an bring online
> run catalog.sql/catproc.sql
> create tablespaces ( including RBS tablespace )
> create RBS1 ....RBSn on RBS tablespace
> bring RB1 online
> bring RB0 ( system tablespace ) offline

Jeez! - That's pre-7.3 code (create a rollback segment in system TS, create rollback TS and segs, take rollback seg in system TS offline and drop).

Time to study the "What's new in xxx" documentation on 8.0, 8i (all three releases), and 9i (both releases). Oh - and 7.3, too! That's 7 releases you're behind in your code (and I'm not even counting in 10G)

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel