Re: Oracle 9IAS -vs- Apache

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:08:27 +0200

Cris Carampa wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>

>> We are running Oracle 8 with OAS (Oracle's old web server).
>> We are not planning to upgrade our database soon, but we would like to
>> switch to Apache for our web server ASAP.
>>
>> Can someone offer insight into what we should consider when choosing
>> between Oracle's version of Apache versus the standard Open Source
>> version of Apache 1.3 .

> First of all, in which language are your applications written? If they
> are written in Java, you can use opensource software, but if they are
> written in PL/SQL you have to buy Oracle Application Server (there is no
> such thing as a stand-alone version of Oracle's Apache).

Check the companion CD on 10G: "Standalone install of Oracle Application Server powered by Apache"

I would refrain from it - almost like every good product (Borlands JDeveloper, now Apache) Oracle makes a mess of it.

Ever tried to use a server certificate with the 10G Apache? You're forced to use the Wallet Manager! Certificates are not recognized, and all that.
Used to work like a charm (just one SSL directive in httpd.conf), now you have to go thru a buggy product. And for what?!?

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel