Re: Oracle9i on Linux RH9

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:25:23 +0200

MadUNIX wrote:

> I am searching the net for a good HowTo/Guide/Usersexperices on
> installing Oracle9i Database Rel. 2 (9.2.0.1.0) on Linux x86 (Redhat 9.0)
> And also looking for installing Oracle9i AS using the same Linux version
> its gonna be for testing/development environment .....
> the Hardware P4 1.8GHz, 40GB, 260 RAM
> What would be also a good partionning for this machine /root /swap /usr?
> I really appreaite user experience on installing Orcale on Linux Redhat 9
> I am starting with this link at the moment
> http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.html
>
> Thansk in advance.

Both sites have great docco; but your hardware is way below the minimal requirements; I'm having pretty much trouble getting things installed on a 1GB box.

About disk: let Linux do the job - take a 100MB /boot, a 2000MB (yup - 2GB!) swap, and all the rest for the root filesystem (/). Don't worry about all the othe mountpoints.

Don't forget, 10G AS requires a management layer as soon as the AS gets configured for anything but the basics (e.g. Portal). Meaning you end up with:

- 9.2 database + instance (to store Portal objects in)
- 9.0 database + instance (management layer, i.e. OEM, OID)
- AS processes (OEM, OID, Apache, ...).

You will not get this done on a 260MB machine; speed and disk would suffice, memory not! Get another 1.5GB or so, to make sure you don't get into swapping and thus compensate for the no-so-fast processor

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel