Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:30:49 -0500

| rkusenet wrote:

| >>Worse yet, how many end users understand that what they are seeing
| >>could be something that never existed.
| >
| > isn't this true for all products. I mean, how many of users actually
| > verify that a report from a complex report involving multi table
| > join, correlated sub queries and partitioning is actually correct.

as in "they're not going to check, so let's lie to them"?

that approach would not last to the end of the status meeting on any of my projects.

how many users know how complex the underlying query is -- and why should they care? they DO know their data (or else they are in more trouble than a database can solve for them) and they have a right, and we have an ethical duty, to present it to them honestly. it is OUR job to ensure that the output from our systems is 'actually correct'

please excuse me if this sounds harsh, but i do think that this type of reasoning borders on unethical. if you cannot guarantee to me that the data you give me is correct, why should i trust your application? or your team? or your company?

;-{ mcs Received on Sat Apr 03 2004 - 17:30:49 CST