Re: 9.2.0.5 is available for win32

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:49:34 +0100

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 07:37:49 -0800, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>koert54 wrote:
>
>> Could you give us some negative feedback here ...
>> Might be interesting for those who are upgrading ...
>>
>I will give it to you as specifically as I can ... my chief
>technical contact at Oracle ... sorry can't name names ...
>when asked about installing the 9.2.0.5 patch said in two words,
>and I quote: "Don't ... Wait". That is all I know. In the next
>breath he said the 9.2.0.4 CD set just released is fine.
>
>So maybe the problem is with a particular O/S ... the conversation
>was with respect to RedHat EL AS 3.0 and 3.1 and maybe all. But it
>definitely was not RAC related but more general in scope.

 Oracle sent out an email advising re-downloading 9.2.0.5 Linux if you were using the SLES7 distribution (Suse). I don't have the email here, it's at the office, but it claimed the issue was specific to SLES7, and is fixed in the updated version of 9.2.0.5.

>I'd suggest watching metalink for awhile and not applying it
>unless it specifically fixes a known problem.

 In our case there are some bugs we've been waiting for fixes, and 9.2.0.5 has fixed some of them from brief initial tests. Hasn't got very far through testing yet, though.

 First thing that raised an eyebrow was this:

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production
CORE 9.2.0.6.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 9.2.0.5.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.5.0 - Production

 A bit ahead of themselves in the CORE version? Presumably harmless, but odd; makes you wonder what other small mistakes have slipped through. It's listed in the 'Known Issues' note on metalink now though.

--
Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> / Space: disk usage analysis tool
http://www.andyh.co.uk         / http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space