shre lock vs. exclusive lock

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 3 Apr 2004 06:03:39 -0800

I am reading a standard university database textbook and I am attempting to apply it to Oracle. Here is the book... it's used all over the place

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072554819/qid=1081000904/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-1148263-1387019?v=glance&s=books

In the chapter on Locking it states that a share lock is used to lock on reads, so that other sessions can read, but cannot right. An exclusive lock is used on writes and no other session can access the data.

Now oracle doesn't lock on reads and when it does writes, other uses can still read. So how does Oracle define share locks vs. exclusive locks in contrast to my book?

Oracle's new search feature on metalink is hideous. I'd assume it's there, but I can't find it. Received on Sat Apr 03 2004 - 08:03:39 CST