Re: upgrading 8.1.7 to 9i on the same box

From: DJ <nospamplease_at_goaway.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 20:10:59 +0100

"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Ba1bc.3991$dW5.2084_at_edtnps89...
> This will be a first for me, all other upgrades I have done (7.X and
> 8.0.x to 8.1.x) have been from older machines to newer machines.
>
> I am considering installing 9i in a second oracle home and using the
> migration utility, however I have heard that 9i will prompt you if you
> want to migrate if it finds an older database on the machine, and I'd
> like to install the latest 9i patchsets first. However I'm sure I could
> apply the patchsets first and run the migration utility later. This is
> new territory for me and would like to know if this is the best way to go.
>
> I am also considering my usual export/import into 9i after it is
> installed and patched. Since this is my first import into 9i, I was
> going to precreate the tablespaces and users, then import just the one
> schema that holds the data. The source database has dictionary managed
> tablespaces and I'll be using locally managed in the target. Is it ok to
> just import user(s) from 8i to 9i or should I import the full database,
> still creating the tablespaces but letting it create the users? The 9i
> doc's suggest pre-creating the tablspaces and users, but does not
> specify whether or not to import systems objects as well or just the
> users. This is also a very small database, < 1gb, so import will not
> be a big job in any case.
>
> I did do a test (full)import into 9i on a workstation, and several of
> systems objects were imported from the 8.1.7.4 exp file, so I'm
> wondering if they are unnecesary and if a import users only is the way
> to go here.
> TIA

you dont have to upgrade your database as you install, just say no to migrating it.

Once the patches and everything are installed you can use dbua to migrate or do it manually via sql*plus (my preferred option)

if youw ant to use LMT's, quickest option would be to create a new LMT and then move your objects across using alter table move and alter index rebuild tablespace xxx

Should work a charm! Received on Fri Apr 02 2004 - 13:10:59 CST