Re: How to store GUIDs generated from Microsoft

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 06:54:27 +0100

"Brian Peasland" <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:406C81CE.17FCE858_at_remove_spam.peasland.com...
> > errm and we aren't comparing to a number, but to a RAW column. unless
I've
> > missed the point entirely.
>
> I think you missed the point where the conversation turned....
>
> I was specifically replying to Randi's post of "How about the
> performance when using a string as Primary key - is there any
> significant difference compared to using a number?" In this question, it
> is talking about a string or a number field for a primary key, not a RAW
> column.
>
> Cheers!
> Brian

Ah I had the idea that we were talking about the same table, one that needs a GUID as a primary key, which Randi was proposing to store in a RAW column. FWIW I agree with what you said about the differences between the 2, only to say that if this is a GUID type primary key one would probably need a huge string to make any difference at all, since the index access would be by equality (one would hope!) and for any given query lookup the height of the index would have to be different - this needs a LOT more blocks.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA