Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:13:30 GMT

> > Isn't this like double checkpointing, or did I miss something?
>
> no it is not. checkpoint still occurs only once when the script
> issues onmode -c, overriding scheduled checkpoint.

So can you explain to me what the difference is? A checkpoint is when modified blocks are written back to disk. Unless I missed something, the onmode -B does the same thing. So what is the difference between that and a checkpoint?

> > Why not just checkpoint more often than every 10 minutes?
>
> of course it can checkpoint more often. It is a configurable parameter.
> Most informix installation set it in the range of 5 to 15 minutes.

So why not do that then? If I only checkpoint once every 10 minutes, and I complain about the amount of time it takes for the checkpoint to complete, then I checkpoint more often. Why schedule a different job?

You really didn't answer my question as to *why*.....

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com