Re: Question: traversing a firewall with Oracle 9i R2.

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:15:59 +0200

On 1 Apr 2004 09:13:16 -0800, drak0nian_at_yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote:

> Depending upon the number of
>connections you intend to support in this manner, you may want to
>balance the load across multiple dispatchers and shared servers.
>you will need to define explicity the ports for the dispatchers in the
>init.ora file.

Paul, a dispatcher can handle about 30 sessions. So if you expect to have 500+ sessions, be prepared to be slaughtered by your firewall department.
As far as I am concerned, this approach is in my situation extreemly inflexible (because I have to submit a change request for every port to be opened), so I ditched it in favor of using CMAN.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA