Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:02:50 GMT

> One thing I have noticed is that all examples given by Oracle folks
> here to prove their point involves taking a rare case like humungous query.

Obviously, you've never been around my users.......LOL.

I don't think that many of these arguments are rare cases. Rather, they happen quite frequently. Today's systems that I work on do not fall into the classic definitions of OLTP or OLAP systems. In other words, I rarely see systems that have all short, small transactions or large, long running transactions. I typically see a mix. So I don't see these examples as rare by any means, rather it shows the breadth of transaction types that our RDMBS systems must handle all at the same time.

> In case of
> Oracle, since it has to write twice to the block, once for lock and
> once for the data update, I am not sure how much performance impact
> it would be.

As has been said, the performance impact of obtaining a lock for an individual row is pretty small in Oracle. It happens in memory.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com