Re: playing with dbms_rowid

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:03:47 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message

> Comments embedded.
> >
> Ouch. On second reading of my "why would you assume .. . " and first
> reading of your "I assumed you were smart enough . . ." I can see
> where it could look like we're starting to get prickly with each
> other. I truly hope that's not the case. If my question came off
> with a negative connotation, please accept my apology. It was made in
> all innocence -- just looking to fill in some more gaps. I'm acutely
> aware that I don't know what it is that I don't know, and the size and
> complexity of Oracle leaves me in constant fear that I'm overlooking
> some key piece of knowledge or understanding.

It's easy to see why some of the threads on this newsgroup get so overheated. I certainly wasn't feeling prickly, and hadn't read any negative note in your 'why would you assume that' question. I meant exactly what I said in reply- I read the question, I read the author's name and went through the process of "well, it might be X, but he'd have thought of that, therefore ... " Then, of course, I realised my error too late, so your follow-up question made perfect sense exactly as it stood. Re-reading my reply from cold, however, I can see that a sentence starting with: "Because to start with I assumed you were smart enough to ..." carries an enormous threat of an impending put-down. It wasn't intended in that way at all. My apologies that it looked that way.