Re: playing with dbms_rowid

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:29:48 -0600

Comments embedded.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:21:13 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>>
>"Ed Stevens" <ed.stevens_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
>> "(Of course, you may have created data where the first row, when
>> ordered by pk, was not the first row in the table - but I'm assuming
>> you didn't)."
>>
>> Why would you assume that?
>>
> Because to start with I assumed you were smart enough to
> have worked the answer out for yourself if that had been the
> problem. Then the moment I hit SEND I realised that it was
> irrelevant anyway, but didn't bother to send a correction. I took
> 'lowest' to mean 'appearing first in the output' for just long
>enough
> to add the final unnecessary comment.

Ouch. On second reading of my "why would you assume .. . " and first reading of your "I assumed you were smart enough . . ." I can see where it could look like we're starting to get prickly with each other. I truly hope that's not the case. If my question came off with a negative connotation, please accept my apology. It was made in all innocence -- just looking to fill in some more gaps. I'm acutely aware that I don't know what it is that I don't know, and the size and complexity of Oracle leaves me in constant fear that I'm overlooking some key piece of knowledge or understanding.