Re: Export 8.1.6 solaris / import 9.2.0.1 windows xp

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:20:49 +1000

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:406bff0c$0$6555$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jeremy" <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > New database on a Win2k box. Existing 8i (8.1.6) db on solaris box.
> > >
> > > Is it straightforward to export from 8i and import into the 9i
database?
> > > Might I encounter character set conversion issues? Appreciate any tips
> > > or pointers.
> > >
> > > cheers
> > >
> > > --
> > > jeremy
> >
> > It is straightforward, provided you remember the rule: Use the Higher
> > version of the export executable against the lower version of the
> database.
> > In your case, make sure you fire up exp in the version 9 Oracle Home\bin
> > directory and use tnsnames aliases to direct it to connect to the 8i
> > database.
> > Regards
> > HJR

> Shouldn't that read use the *lower* version of exp, and the higher version
> of imp?

Oh sod it. I wrote a paper on the damn thing back in the days when I wasn't allowed to do so, and you are of course 10000% correct. It is exactly the opposite way around to the way I said it, and precisely the right way round when you say it.

Use the 8.1.6 version of export to produce an 8i export dump file, and use 9i import to load it.

I am very sorry indeed to have got something so basic so completely stuffed up.

In my defence, we did have a scorpion in the garage last night!

Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-